The last post, I let you in on some of the misguided goals I had previously shared on Youtube. The biggest one that pretty much had the axe in the heart was the quail. Most people don't know (mainly because I never share that side of my life) that we have a family group of livestock...and some of our family members have quail and other animals separately from the main family group.
- Rabbits. We're planning on a beginning trio, the normal buck and two does. I don't know what breeds just yet.
- Chickens. We're an egg-eating family. We go through TONS of eggs a week, so chickens that are good layers would be awesome. Right now, we have chickens that roam between our compound, and we don't keep track of them. They are all kinds of crosses, with the occasional Bantam thrown in. There are 4 roosters and last we counted (some time back in August when one got run over) 11 hens. They usually stay around either the goats or the cows, but they cover a lot of territory. There are bobcats around here, but most of the time, the dogs keep the cats away. The way that we plan to do chickens on the new homestead, they'll get supervised free-range. Our family group is always majority vote, so as much as I hate just letting the other chickens just go wherever, I follow the rules set by the family.
- Goats. These are a maybe. And I'll leave it at that. Let's just see how far we get with the others first.
- Raised beds. We're fiddling with where to put them right now. Too close to the soybeans, and the deer may drift over. Too close to the road, and people may want to stop and take some without asking. (Yes, this happens around here. Everyone's so neighborly.)
- More flowers! There are a few wild swarms of bees around the woods and creek, and I want to attract them to stop by the garden. I may even put some "natural" bee housing out to see if we can get some full-time residents there.
- Pepper power. I plan to do more than a few pepper plants this time because I want to make enough to dehydrate a ton and create powder.
- More containers. Nuff said.😂